Gareth Bult wrote:

Out here in the real world, in this specific case, apparently it doesn't make things worse .. I go from not working at all, to working apparently 100% .. without having to scrap my DB or write code to scan for items with missing meta_types and create them...

In your real world maybe ;-)

Where there are hundreds to thousands of hits per second, it starts making a difference...

*shrugs* I'd personally prefer to make the one line patch in the product that's missing a meta type in it's class definition ;-)

And what about all the pre-existing objects with no meta-type ???

If the meta_type is added as a class variable, as they usually are, all your pre-existing object will have that attribute as soon as you restart Zope.