I should mention that I've tried this on various combinations of python 2.3.3/2.3.4 and zope 2.7.0/2.7.2.

Nick Bower wrote:
I'm trying to import a zexp export (a Plone site actually) from a windows workstation to a zope server I built on Linux RH9 but it fails with a UnicodeDecodeError:

Module Products.ZCTextIndex.Lexicon, line 69, in sourceToWordIds
Module Products.ZCTextIndex.Lexicon, line 135, in _getWordIdCreate

UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xef in position 5: orginal not in range(128).

What is confusing is that the zexp *will* import to another linux zope build I have (on Mdk10) and sys.getdefaultencoding() and locale.getdefaultlocale() on the 2 linux machines are almost the same (the working one reports "en_GB, utf"/ascii and the non-working one reports "en_US, utf"/ascii), so I think this is a red herring. I can't for the life of me work out what is going wrong as I built python myself on both Linux machines exactly the same.

Can anyone help me please???

Thanks, Nick