We'd had a very simple multi-lingual CMF document written for us a couple of years ago (basically a folderish object with sub-objects in with unicode content and titles). I found these objects were the cause of the import failures and that if I uninstalled the product and then imported, to break the said objects, then re-installed the product, everything would work.

Unicode characters were of course being used in the catloged object titles - maybe zope doesn't permit this? I don't know.

Anyway, pretty sad way to make something work, having to intentionally break it, but there you go. The funny thing is that there's not actually anything wrong with this product afaik and no traceback mentioned it. Only someone with more in depth zope knowledge could comment on this.

Nick Bower wrote:
I'm trying to import a zexp export (a Plone site actually) from a windows workstation to a zope server I built on Linux RH9 but it fails with a UnicodeDecodeError:

Module Products.ZCTextIndex.Lexicon, line 69, in sourceToWordIds
Module Products.ZCTextIndex.Lexicon, line 135, in _getWordIdCreate

UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xef in position 5: orginal not in range(128).

What is confusing is that the zexp *will* import to another linux zope build I have (on Mdk10) and sys.getdefaultencoding() and locale.getdefaultlocale() on the 2 linux machines are almost the same (the working one reports "en_GB, utf"/ascii and the non-working one reports "en_US, utf"/ascii), so I think this is a red herring. I can't for the life of me work out what is going wrong as I built python myself on both Linux machines exactly the same.

Can anyone help me please???

Thanks, Nick