--On Sonntag, 30. Januar 2005 19:17 Uhr +0100 Dieter Maurer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

- some indexes show the number of indexed objects vs the number of
indexes  terms
   within the ZMI which is totally inconsistent. I think the ZMI should
show the number
   of indexed objects. Index specific information e.g. the number of
indexed terms
   should be shown within the indexes default view (if necessary).

This was already discussed (--> mailing list archives).

I (and others) find it more informative to get a feeling about
the size of the index (rather than the number of indexed objects)
in the overview.

There are two points of view: the "normal" user is confused if some indexes
show up the number of indexed objects and others show the size of the index
within the same column. This should be consistent. If would prefer the number
of indexed objects within the default ZMI view and put index specific size
information into their own default view.

- Indexes derived from UnIndex also store informations about objects
although they do
   not index useful information.
   An optimised
version of UnIndex would
   store only  values evaluating to non-zero.

It would essentially change the "number of indexed objects" (and make it a bit more informative when one is interested in the size of the index) ;-)

You must be a bit careful with the "non-zero". Some indexes interpret (some) zero values in a special way, e.g. "DateRangeIndex". It interprets "None" as "no limit".

Yes, but DateRangeIndexes overwrite index_object() so that a change of UnIndex itself would not harm.

I would also prefer when "None" would consistently means:
I do not have a value (in the current context).
But, this will interfere with some indexes.

"None" could be a problem with other indexes...at least there should be a unique marker saying: I have nothing of interest to be indexed....

Zope-Dev maillist - Zope-Dev@zope.org