--On Samstag, 19. März 2005 18:15 Uhr +0100 Martijn Faassen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

No debate with doing an alpha, though. There are likely to be more kinks
to be worked out indeed.

I have update the 2.8 wiki with the planned release schedule.

I'd prefer a shorter cycle, with an alpha 2 this month, a beta in april, and a release at the latest in may. I would also very much like to have a release date set and committed to. I don't like to hear "hopefully a final version in Q2" and such estimates in relation to Zope releases; it almost *invites* further delays.

The latest delays are basically caused by missing contributions from the community.
Since 2.8a1 in October 2004 most fixes were made by Tim, Jim, Stefan Holek and myself.

We must face that in practice most testing by the wider community will happen *after* the release anyway. I also would like to add that core Plone hackers, core Silva hackers, and core CPS hackers were all at the sprint in Paris and *already* did significant testing. In addition, both Nuxeo and Infrae are using Five in a number of a active development projects at the moment, and Enfold has in fact already been in *production* with Five since last year. This stuff is being tested.

You are arguing with the Z3/Five hat on. Having a reliable Zope 2.8 version
with MVCC support is much more important to most people than having a perfect
Five support. So the primary goal of the Zope 2.8 release is to have a stable successor release
for Zope 2.7.

I don't expect people will have a lot of time to do extensive testing after the sprint, anyhow. Giving people more time to do testing won't actually encourage them doing anything, as they can always wait until later. Setting release dates is the best bet at getting people to do it. Especially if we show we're committed.

I hope everyone is really commited. We'll see how far we can get with this approach.

Andreas