Tim Peters wrote:

describes some of the code problems with Zope's current way of mounting
databases.  ZODB 3.4 (still) has a Mount.py module, unused and untested by
ZODB.  Jim and I were both surprised today to discover that Zope (2.8) still
imports it, so we can't drop it for ZODB 3.4 (Zope 2.8, and the ZODB 3.4 it
uses, are both in beta).

We'd like to continue getting non-ZODB code out of the ZODB project, so
would like to drop Mount.py from ZODB 3.5.  Are any of zodb-dev's
"standalone" ZODB users making use of Mount.py?  I would be surprised by
that too, since Mount.py relies on other code (like Acquisition) that's
already been removed from the ZODB 3.3 and 3.4 lines.  I've been surprised
before, though ...

Tim, you should have noted, for the benefit of Zope users, that the itent was to
move this module into Zope, where it belongs.  Given Shane's comments, it would
be much better, for Zope 2.9, to reimplement Zope mounting using ZODB's new
multi-database support.