Jim Fulton wrote:
Martijn Faassen wrote:
I'll just remind everybody that, starting with Zope 2.9 and Zope 3.2,
we are switching to time based, rather than feature-based releases.
We will make feature releases of Zope 2 and Zope 3 every 6 months,
starting this December.  I suggest a manditory feature freeze
at the beginning of the previous month, so November 1 for the next

 > I have some ideas:

* newer version of Five included (whatever version is current then)

* Zope 3.1 included

Actually, Zope 3.2.  Zope 3.2 and 2.9 will be released together,
There is no need for Zope 2 to be a release behind in it's Zope 3

If the time based release planning works for Zope 3, fine. I just want to avoid a situation where Zope 2.9 has to wait a long time for a Zope 3.2 release. I'd rather have a release out with Zope 3.1 before then.

This may actually indicate we need a Zope 2.9 release in the nearer future which just focuses on including Zope 3.1, and planning for a Zope 2.10 release with 3.2 later. This would break time-releasedness for Zope 2.9, in that we could have it in, say, 3 months, though. I need to think this through.

* Python 2.4 support

I think these could all be accomplished without getting too ambitious.

Yes.  I think this is a good starting point.  I hope there will be
more, but, since we are doing time based release from now on, we'll
have what we have.

Agreed, having what we have, and releasing it, should be our motto.

What do people think?

I think it is good to plan work, but, *we will not be bound by a specific
set of features*. We are switching to time-based releases for Zope 2 and
Zope 3.

Further, we will coordinate the releases.  Essentially, *Zope*
is switching to a new release schedule. Zope will be released every 6 months and the releases will be in two parts, a Zope 2 part that includes the current Zope 3 and a Zope 3 part.

I am worried about the interdependency of these releases causing delays, but I am also sure we can avoid this with good planning.