Tres Seaver wrote:

Jim Fulton wrote:

Chris McDonough wrote:

On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 10:12 -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:

We have historically always had the opportunity to introduce features
that preserve 100% b/c (like filestream iterators) in point releases.
This has worked pretty well for the last few years.

I wasn't aware of this and I don't think it's a good policy.

Feature releases should be backward compatible. Bug-fix
releases should be for bug fixes.

Agreed, in theory.  In practice, the usual handwave has been to construe
the absence of the feature as a bug (with greater or lesser justification).

 Perhaps we can be more hard-nosed about a "no new features in third-dot
releases" policy *after* we get a timeboxed release process in place?  I
have some recollection that a hard-nosed application of such a policy in
ZODB land contributed to the creation of the "dead-end" 3.3 release
line, never incorporated in any released Zope2 / Zope3 version.

Which is just fine IMO.

CTO                  (540) 361-1714
Zope Corporation