Jim Fulton wrote:
>>> I wasn't aware of this and I don't think it's a good policy.
>>> Feature releases should be backward compatible. Bug-fix
>>> releases should be for bug fixes.
>> Agreed, in theory.  In practice, the usual handwave has been to construe
>> the absence of the feature as a bug (with greater or lesser
>> justification).
>>  Perhaps we can be more hard-nosed about a "no new features in third-dot
>> releases" policy *after* we get a timeboxed release process in place?  I
>> have some recollection that a hard-nosed application of such a policy in
>> ZODB land contributed to the creation of the "dead-end" 3.3 release
>> line, never incorporated in any released Zope2 / Zope3 version.
> Which is just fine IMO.

Such an outcome might be "acceptable", but could hardly be called

I'll note that a *big* pile of potentially useful ZODB features were
pretty much inaccessible to the Zope2 community from the date of the
first 3.3a1 release, nearly two years ago[1], until the release of Zope
2.8 last month.  This timespan, eerily enough, coincides almost exactly
with the  life of the Zope 2.7 release cycle[2].

I know how and why the loss happened (I helped *make* it happen, I'm
afraid), but I don't want it to happen again.  Moving to time-based
releases should help with the problem, but we aren't there yet, and
won't be for a year (a successful delivery in December could be a fluke).

[1] \

[2] http://www.zope.org/Products/Zope/2.7.6/CHANGES.txt

- --
Version: GnuPG v1.2.5 (GNU/Linux)