Stefane Fermigier wrote:

Sidnei da Silva wrote:

On Sun, Aug 21, 2005 at 10:20:28AM +0200, Stefane Fermigier wrote:
| I have added support for coverage analysis using coverage.py from Gareth | Rees and Ned Batchelder, as well as support for profiling using either the | profile or hotshot modules from the Python standard library, to Zope 2's | test runner test.py.
| | Justification:
| | - coverage.py will let you interactively focus on the modules you want to | check for coverage.
| | - profile is slow to collect data but quick for analysis.
| | - hotshot is fast when collecting but very slow for analysis. On the other | hand, one can feed the great KCacheGrind tool with hotshot data after some | transformation and this is the best way I have found so far for | interactively exploring profile data.

Eerm, the test runner in Zope 2 is the same from Zope 3. The version
in Zope 3 X3.0 has profile support using hotshot and coverage support
using the trace.py module, but the version in Zope 2 is earlier than
that.

How does that differ from what you're proposing?

1. I haven't found hotshot support in either Zope 2.8.1 nor the TRUNK.

2. Has I wrote, coverage.py can be used interactively (at least, from the command line) to focus on whichever package you are working on at the moment. You can also collect data from several runs, which is useful for us because we have to test each CPS package in a different run.

3. I understand that trace.py and coverage.py have some overlap, and should probably be merged into one great and up to date coverage tool. But before it is done, I find useful to have both tools at our disposal.

4. Same for hotshot and profile. Both are useful.

I don't think Sidnei was questioning the value of these, but
just pointing out that another version of the test runner already had
some of this.

I'll note that I'm working on a newer test runner that I hope to use
in Zope 2.9 and 3.2.  The new test runner is a nearly complete rewrite to
provide:

- A more flexible test runner that can be used for a variety of projects.
  The current test runner has been forked for ZODB, Zope 3, and Zope 2.
  That's why the Zope 3 version has features that are lacking in the Zope 2
  version.

- Support for "layers" of tests, so that it can handle unit tests and
  functional tests.

- A slightly better UI.

- Tests (of the test runner itself :)

See:

http://svn.zope.org/zope.testing/trunk/src/zope/testing/testrunner.txt?view=log
http://svn.zope.org/zope.testing/trunk/src/zope/testing/testrunner.py?view=log

I'd like to include coverage and profiling support. (There is partial support
now, but untested.)  Wanna help?

Jim