because of the fact that we are switching to a time-based release cycle for Zope 2 and Zope 3. I would like to discuss how deal with the maintenance of older branches. My idea is to support branches for one year from now on. Zope 2.7 should be maintained until the end of this year, Zope 2.8 until the release of Zope 2.10 in June 2006, Zope 2.9 until the release of Zope 2.11 in December 2006. In case of severe bugs and security problems we can think of making releases for deprecated Zope versions. We could extend the maintenance period for releases if there are some volunteers to take over the responsibility for older branches (isn't there a maintainer for the Linux 2.0 kernel? :-)) From the maintenance point of view it just a nightmare (and it takes a lot of time) to have an overview over more than two or three branches.

What do you think?