Hi!

Some things turned out a bit different than proposed, so I want to report back:

1.) 'action' key:
-----------------

I'd like to give empty 'action' values a special meaning: The meta_type is not visible in the add drop down in the ZMI.

The five:registerClass directive allows to set empty 'action' values.

This would resolve http://www.zope.org/Collectors/Zope/1885 .

Filtering out meta_types with empty 'action' values is a two line change in main.dtml. I'd like to make that change also on the 2.8 branch to enable that feature for 2.8.5 with Five 1.2.

I wasn't able to finish this because it depends on http://www.zope.org/Collectors/Zope/1774 . See my comment in http://www.zope.org/Collectors/Zope/1885 for details.

2.) 'interfaces' key:
---------------------

Does currently only contain oldstyle interfaces. The code in OFS.ObjectManager that uses that key works also with z3 interfaces. I'd like to add z3 interfaces to the value of that key. That would e.g. allow to set only new style interfaces on catalog index classes.

Done.

3.) 'product' key:

AFAICS it isn't used in Zope itself. I'd like to add a note that it might be removed in a future version.

That key is not required, but I found two places in Zope where it is used if it exists: In ProductRegistry for TTW products and in OFS.Application for refreshing products.

4.) related cleanup:

Application.install_product has some backwards compatibility code for products that have initialization code outside the 'initialize' method of their __init__.py. This is deprecated at least for 5 years. I'd like to add explicit deprecation warnings on the 2.8 branch and to remove that code for Zope 2.9.

Done. Made sure ZGadflyDA and ZSQLMethods don't use the deprecated code. Given the fact that 2 Zope core products still used that code and given the feedback on this list I didn't remove the code in Zope 2.9. This should be done in Zope 2.10 instead.

Cheers,

        Yuppie