On 11/5/05, Jim Fulton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It's main benefit is that it leverages a familiar pattern, but
> I'm not convinced that it's worth it. Also, as tools like rpm and
> deb become more widely used, I'm not sure how familar the configure/make
> dance is.  Other than Python and Zope, I never use configure/make anymore.

I think more and more people never have to build from source.  There's
little I build from source these days, and I'm generally happy to
build myself.  I think the only things I build are things I'm actually
contributing to myself, whether it be for work or volunteering on open
source projects.  I don't even build my own TeX tools any more.  :-)

Also, configure/make is only familiar in the Unix world; most
installations appearantly are on Windows boxes using the binary
installer.  The importance of the familiar dance just isn't very
significant any more.

"Society attacks early, when the individual is helpless." --B.F. Skinner