--On 13. November 2005 14:55:22 -0500 Chris McDonough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

But I'd like to understand the rationale for not branching at the time
if the feature freeze (Nov 1).  Is it just to avoid the work of merging
changes from the branch back the HEAD during the period between the
freeze and the beta?  Doesn't svn make this pretty easy?  And what is
the maximum amount of time between freeze and beta that we'd consider
reasonable?

I think all people involved in 2.9 should get their contributions right on the trunk. Then we can branch. Fixing stuff on multiple branches is a pain. You could create a temporary branch for your stuff and merge it back into the HEAD when the 2.9 branch. I think Jim came up with idea to develop new features on a branch. Branches aka new features should be merged into the HEAD if they are considered to be stable. The reason for this approach but be to have the HEAD in a reasonable stable state and to be able to cut a release branch at any time.

Andreas