--On 9. Dezember 2005 10:11:42 -0500 Jim Fulton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I forgot a very important need:

- Common approach to Unicode

We need to migrate Zope 2 to use a similar strategy.  We need volunteers
to brainstorm how this can be done and make one or more proposals.
This is likely a prerequisite for finishing the publisher and ZPT

I think there are two approaches. Textual content can be produced by nearly every Zope object (and its methods). Content can be composed by the basic Zope functionalities like DTML, ZPT, PyScripts and external methods (in the sense that these functionalities are able to call other objects and their methods).

a) one could enforce all objects to return unicode (which would be a very hard requirement) and possibly break any application

b) convert non-unicode content produced by Zope objects from where they are called (DTMl, ZPT, PyScript, Extmethods) to unicode. This would limit the number of places where we need to change code. The encoding of the non-unicode content could be from the 'content-type: XXX; charset=XXXX' header (if set) or as fallback from the configured zpublisher_default_encoding. An object could also set a property "my_output_encoding" (or so)...