Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

IMHO it is an important requirement. We're inviting a hailstorm of questions and annoyed users by breaking this well-known routine for checkouts.

I really think there is not a single good reason for having a different experience for checkouts vs tarballs. It would even lead to major annoyance where I work right now, just to give a real life example. For us, building out a development sandbox is the same process as building out a production instance, and for development buildouts we routinely want to just substitute checkous from a different tag/branch of Zope.

Big +1, and that's not just 'cos I work with Jens ;-)