Jim Fulton wrote:

And would have made including Zope 3 in Zope 2 a real mess.

I realize that zpkg has important benefits and use cases. My point with trying to point out weaknesses is not to argue against the existence of zpkg - something like that needs to exist given the use case of one repository multiple distributions. I want to create awareness of other use cases that perhaps need to be fixed as well.

Part of this is due to learning curve issues. Part of this is because this can be seen as a non-essential difference between Zope and the rest of the world -- I wonder whether other Python projects have dealt with one repository multiple distributions before, or whether Zope is the first. I suspect it is...; it's just that we're trailblazing an area is not related to web applications directly, which makes it harder to do, and is also something we as Zope should be very careful about.

Regards,

Martijn