Jim Fulton wrote:
My suggestion is to have different README and INSTALL files for the checkout that tell people what they can do and how to do it and to
change the install target to simply tell people that install isn't
currently supported in a checkout and to read the appropriate text
files.

Sounds like a reasonable idea. The bit of the install target pointing this out is essential, otherwise people will have no clue that the README and INSTALL are *different* in the checkout. On the longer term I hope we can work towards making them less different again.

Regards,

Martijn