--On 23. Dezember 2005 19:28:52 +0000 Chris Withers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The HTTP spec says that a http server *can* set the charset to make the
encoding of the payload clear. That's what we are doing now. Not
specifying the charset means for the browser: *guessing* the encoding
which means the browser defaults to some unspecified default encoding.

Yes, but we're essentially guessing too, right? :-S

No. Imagine a PythonScript that returns a unicode string. The ZPublisher converts the unicode string to latin1 (zpublisher_default_encoding). Most browsers will default Latin1 when they can't find the charset in the content-type header. When you configure the ZPublisher to convert output to utf-8 then browsers will still default to Latin1 although the output it utf-8. So we tell the browser which encoding the ZPubisher was using to produce the output.

-aj