Tim Peters wrote:
[Florent Guillaume]

Why not use the tag you just made?
  ZODB svn://svn.zope.org/repos/main/ZODB/tags/3.6.0/src/ZODB
etc.

Ask Jim ;-)

I don't like using tags in externals.  Each time an external is changed to a
tag,
svn creates .OLD directories and gets a new version.  It's a real hassle IMO.

I especialy don't like this on the trunk, or on a branch.

I don't really mind using a tag for a release.  For example, I wouldn't
necessarily mind if the Zope 3.2.0 release itself was based on a tag of ZODB.
But I don't think it's all that important either.

What I especially don't like is forcing a release and tag of something just
because
we want to use it somewhere else.  For example, I would hate to create a tag
in zope.testing just so Zope could use a later revision.

(Hi have a vague feeling this may have been discussed before but I'm not
sure ;)).

I'm not sure it's been coherently discussed on a mailing list:

- While a tag is conceptually read-only, sometimes people do make changes
  on tags.  You can't cheat (or get screwed by someone else cheating) with
  -r NNNNN, though,

- Updates to a different revision on the same SVN path typically go much faster,
  replacing only the files that have changed.  When the SVN path changes (as
  was true when stitching in ZODB by tag), the entire project is
refetched.  When
  moving from ZODB 3.6.0b6 to 3.6.0 final, that's the difference between getting
  all the ZODB code again, or just getting the 3 (or so) files that
changed (more
  files than that _did_ change in ZODB 3.6 final, but Zope doesn't
include them --
  the others are part of the standalone ZODB release).

- When the SVN path changes, people who leave old .pyc (or other not-checked-in)
  files behind end up with OLD.n directories created by SVN too.

Overall, I like tags better myself:

- They're self-documenting.

Yes if they are real tags.  I don't think adds much documentation is created
soley
so that something else can have a tag in an external.

Jim