Yes, it is bad form to answer ones own questions, but ...
I had not read the documentation carefully.  The answer is that
the specifications for targets is

user:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:port/path-to-ZSyncer-instance

and is as elegant as it gets.  It uses Basic Authentication and is
documented in the README I neglected to read as this is the fifth
version of ZSyncer I've installed and I thought I knew the product.