Tres Seaver wrote:
At one point, enabling the 'http:' checkout gateway was a sure-fire
recipe for getting SVN's knickers in a twist, which is why we disabled
it.  Or maybe that was ViewCSV.

It was ViewCSV, in particular, the tarball download...

In any case, I would guess that you might persuade folks to allow
DAV-based checkout (which is what svn-over-http is), but you are likely
to have to write it up as a proposal, including specific information
about the Apache / SVN configuration changes required.

Where should I write the proposal? Who is going to review it?
I'm all for just doing it and reverting it if there are problems...

Yes, definitely.  The answer is the same as when you asked for it two
years ago (:  the WebDAV stuff is slow (which may be a reason not to
allow annonymous http: checkouts, too),

I'm fairly sure SourceForge uses https for it's writeable svn service. I might be mistaken on that, but if I'm not, I doubt there are issues...

and the credentials mechanism is
built entirely around the contributor's SSH key..

yes, this sucks :-/