Mark Hammond wrote:
Chris quoting Jim:

whether SVN or not, I'm guessing any use of HTTP basic authentication
mechanism qualifies as "extremely lame"!  I've no idea if this is what Jim
meant though :)

OK, for those not familiar with svn/HTTP authentication, as I understand it
you have to authenticate for each session and your credentials are cached in
clear text in your home directory.  The storage of clear-text credentials
is obviously lame, as is the necessity to provide then for each svn session.

With the current ssh-based mechanism, I authenicate once when I log into
my machine and don't have to authenticate again for the remainder of that
OS session, during which I can log into many remote machines and access many
different Subversion and CVS repositories without having to reenter
credentials.  I find this to be a major convenience.

Jim