Dieter Maurer wrote:
yuppie wrote at 2006-3-10 20:20 +0100:
To support WebDAV as widely as possible, I would prefer to
get rid of all id restrictions. I do not like to see
new restrictions emerging...
You just don't like it or do you know a better alternative?

We need a way to make sure that object IDs can't mask browser views and resources. The current solution in Zope 3 is to reserve names starting with '+' and '@' for resources and views.

"_" is already disallowed at the beginning of an id.
Could you use it to mark views/ressources?

It's more easy to customize that stuff in Zope 3 than in Zope 2, but I doubt the default names used in Zope 3 will be changed. And I don't think it would be a good idea to introduce different naming conventions in Zope 2.

Compared to Zope 2.8.1 and earlier this is no new restriction.

In order to support WebDAV as widely as possible, I
have removed almost all id restrictions quite some time ago.
I hope that this will happen in the official Zope as well.
The current state of affairs is not really justified.

To reach that goal more fundamental changes are necessary. While the subject of this thread is more general, I just want to fix a bug. And I doubt the fix I proposed will make the WebDAV support much worse.

Cheers, Yuppie