Zope supports the export of content either through Python pickles (.zexp) or as XML. Unfortunatly the XML export/import has several problems:

- the generated XML is pretty much too low-level to use it e.g.
  for migration issues

- it was broken multiple times in the past, it still has problems

- it has no maintainer, nobody wants to touch it without gloves

I propose to deprecate XML export/import for Zope 2.10 and to remove it in Zope 2.12. We don't loose any functionality since .zexp is working fine. I don't know of any active projects/code that really uses XML export/import.