Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

On 24 Mar 2006, at 16:07, Jim Fulton wrote:

I think the XML export is a facility that is and should be advertized
as a legitimate escape hatch for data kept in Zope.  People really
shouldn't feel afraid of putting data in Zope/ZODB as there
really is a useful way to get it out.

We have used it to produce a large "backup" before, but consistently ran into unicode encode/decode errors. The only way I could get it to export was to do the nasty sitecustomize.py hack and setting the default encoding to UTF-8.

Interesting.  I imagine that this is fixible in a somewhat straightforward
way, although it is probably tied up with the general encoding mess in Z2.

Jim