Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

On 24 Mar 2006, at 16:12, Jim Fulton wrote:

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

On 24 Mar 2006, at 16:07, Jim Fulton wrote:

I think the XML export is a facility that is and should be  advertized
as a legitimate escape hatch for data kept in Zope.  People really
shouldn't feel afraid of putting data in Zope/ZODB as there
really is a useful way to get it out.

We have used it to produce a large "backup" before, but consistently ran into unicode encode/decode errors. The only way I could get it to export was to do the nasty hack and setting the default encoding to UTF-8.

Interesting. I imagine that this is fixible in a somewhat straightforward way, although it is probably tied up with the general encoding mess in Z2.

Yes, that's likely where the problem comes from. IMHO there is no reason to remove/deprecate it, but on the other hand it should not be advertised as a really user-friendly and easy way of exporting. It's still somewhat of a second class citizen when it comes to exporters. It might be in need of some warning stickers on the package ;)

Can you give an example of a first-class exporter?  I'm not aware
of a general solution.  I guess there are solutions based on Archetypes.
It should definately be advertized for what it is, but it is certainly
much more than I realized in the past.

CTO                  (540) 361-1714
Zope Corporation