--On 24. März 2006 18:09:36 +0100 Yoshinori Okuji <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Friday 24 March 2006 17:33, Andreas Jung wrote:
>> - it has no maintainer, nobody wants to touch it without gloves
>
> Is that any more true than for lots of other things?

Right, but for duplicate functionality that is not widely used and that I
consider buggy it is legitimate to propose the deprecation. But as
usually I am open to good arguments :-)

We have been using XML export/import with ERP5[1] in many production
systems  for a long time. Only this feature allows us to understand
changes among  different versions in a human readable format, and even to
edit the contents  by ordinary text editors. Without this feature, it is
nearly impossible to  work on large systems in a distributed way. XML
export/import is so valuable  to make a bridge between TTW development
and distributed development with the  technology Business Template[2,3].

As I said, I am open to arguments and this convinces that the XML export/import is useful for some ppl and should stay. I am not dogmatic on such issues but such a discussion help to wake people but a bit....

To make the feature more convenient, we have locally developed some
monkey  patches[4,5] to Zope so that:

- the output is more stable (i.e. the order of tags and the reference
numbers  are more stable) to make "diff" usable for human

- unicode objects work fine, assuming that data should be encoded in UTF-8

We would be happy to submit our patches, if you think they are generally
useful.

Of course we do appreciate any kind of patches as long they make sense
and have reasonable test to document the intended behavior. In general patches are always welcome :-)

Andreas