if zclasses(and some of the niceties that depended on them like ZPatterns) could reliably roundtrip to the filesystem, would we be having this conversation?

I don't know...it seems like if you tackled the less sexy problem of making zclasses play with normal developer tool chain, the divide between zclass fans and core developers is bridged.

Seaside, the smalltalk web framework is a successful example of this(but before it could be, they had to build a scm in smalltalk).

I think the reality is that since the current best practice toolchain came after the inception of ZClasses, you can't expect any active developers to want to maintain something divorced from their working environment.

bring zclasses back to the tool chain, and you might grow an audience to help you.