On 23 Dec 2006, at 14:23, Jim Fulton wrote:
zdaemon is an interesting case because it is soooooooo non-zope and
(mostly) non-python specific.  I must say that it amazes me that there
isn't an established alternative out there.

When people start talking about such functionalities I only ever see Daemontools mentioned. I never used it, but from your description it seems to have some shortcomings.

One point in zdaemon's favor that I forgot about in my original analysis is that it has a (also undocumented) subclassing API that allows applications to add new commands. We certainly leverage this to provide the debug and
run commands.

supervisor2 looks very cool. But it is also "ours" in some sense. It also is much bigger than zdaemon. It looks like like something that people will often choose over zdaemon. zdaemon is still attractive to me over supervisor2 because it is smaller, less ambitious and I already understand it. :) And, of course,
there are the good backward compatibility arguments that you make.

So with all that said, what's the use case for switching zdaemon out for something else? What other functionalities are *you* looking for? I don't think it ever caused anyone any headache apart from maybe working around different ways in which forking/daemonizing is handled on some platforms (OS X comes to mind).

Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (Darwin)