Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
So with all that said, what's the use case for switching zdaemon out for something else?

Not owning it. :)

> What other functionalities are *you* looking for?

Ditto.

> I don't think it ever caused anyone any headache apart from maybe working
around different ways in which forking/daemonizing is handled on some platforms (OS X comes to mind).

Any software we own is an inherent liability.  Of course, hopefully,
most things we own provide enough benefits to overcome this inherent
liability.

I agree that there may not be alternatives compelling enough to
justify a change.

Jim