Andreas Jung schrieb:

Hi,

as mentioned in an earlier I was working on several encoding and webdav
issues related to the Zope 3 ZPT integration in Zope 2.10. I backported
the changes to the 2.10 branch.

The changes include an in-place migration of all ZopePageTemplate instances to unicode (through a custom __setstate__() implemenetation). The migration code tries to sniff the encoding (it knows about ISO-8859-15 and UTF-8). A custom "preferred" encoding can be specified through the environment variable $ZPT_PREFERRED_ENCODING.

You should rather use config param default-zpublisher-encoding as a default, maybe with a fallback to (hopefully once obsolete)
MANAGE_PAGE_CHARSET property.

I know that this migration is a big hammer (for a minor release) however I have not found another solution to deal with the outstanding issues in a reasonable and sane way. Therefore this migration must be tested. I am thinking about a beta release for 2.10.2 in order to get the stuff tested
(I am also aware of the fact that most people don't test betas :-))

The sniffing could work however. Maybe we should have some warnings
printed on console during zope start? Or even a "configureme" parameter
which stopps zopes start when there is a non empty storage to migrate?

Regards
Tino