This proposal aims at bringing Zope 2 a bit closer to Zope 3 by making the widely used Acquisition API aware of Zope 3's __parent__ pointers. This will alleviate the need of using Acquisition base classes in Zope 2 for every security-sensitive object, be it persistent or just a dynamically looked up component such as a view. The goal is to enable the use of Zope 3 components in Zope 2 straight away without creating subclasses that mix in Acquisition for security's sake.

See for the full proposal. Comments are appreciated. I expect little resistance to this as it pretty much doesn't change any existing semantics and just makes all of our lives much simpler. Also, if it helps, this has been blessed by Jim in discussion at the EuroPython 2006 sprint.

As for the implementation, I gave it my best shot in the philikon-aq-and-__parent__ branch. My experience with C is limited, especially when it comes to debugging. Help is therefore highly appreciated. There's a reward waiting for whoever fixes the problem and helps getting the branch merged to the trunk (see the proposal text).

Next Zope 3 training at Camp5: