Daniel Nouri wrote:
Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
For their upcoming versions, Zope 2 consuming platforms such as Plone
are creating standard Zope3-style Python packages while still having
Zope 2 products around.  This proposal aims at unifying the deployment
of products and Python packages into a Zope 2 instance alike by using
Python eggs and their entry point system.

See
http://wiki.zope.org/zope2/EggifyingZopesExtensionMechanismQuotProductsQuot
for the full proposal. Comments are appreciated. I plan on implementing
it at the Camp5 BBQ sprint (http://www.openplans.org/projects/bbq-sprint)

Sounds very good to me.  However, I guess the biggest bulk of the work
will be to make the existing Products out there eggs, which is quite a
tedious task.

It is also left up to those who develop those products. This proposal doesn't propose to change any existing products. It just gives consumer frameworks the ability to deploy products just like any other Python egg.

A bit off topic: What about entry points for Zope 3 packages for their
ZCML?  Right now, when I easy_install a Zope 3 package, I still need to
set up the ZCML by hand.  I'm not sure that this is a sensible default.

Jim has plans to
* create configuration actions from Python instead of XML
* use entry points as the "include" mechanism

These plans were originally for Zope 3.4/2.11, not sure if it has been postponed by now. The PyCON 07 sprint may produce something. If Zope 3.4 gets it, Zope 2.11 will get it automatically. And yes, it will be very nice. All you then need is two entry points for a package and it's Zope2-enabled.

Next Zope 3 training at Camp5: http://trizpug.org/boot-camp/camp5