Most ObjectEvents are dispatched to "sublocations". I was wondering whether it is ok for me to expect a certain dispatch order, i.e. top- down (container before sublocation) or bottom-up (sublocation before container)?

What I find is that this order depends on things like the exact interface a handler is registered for and, in Zope 2.9 (+3.2), even on the way I run tests (!).

I can only conclude that there is no guaranteed dispatch order. Now, should there be? Where can I learn about this contract?

Also see

It doesn't necessarily do it in chronological order, though.
  --Douglas Adams