whit wrote:
2 items:

1. how does everyone feel about adding the following boilerplate to all occurences of Products/__init__.py to enable the easy creation of Product eggs?

try:
    __import__('pkg_resources').declare_namespace(__name__)

except ImportError:
    from pkgutil import extend_path
    __path__ = extend_path(__path__, __name__)

+1

2. Could we consider this a defect so it could be added to relavent maintenance branches(provided no one sees any harm in #1. I mainly care about zope 2.9)

Would it really be necessary? Products as eggs already work, as long as Zope-2.x/lib/python/Products has been imported first. In a normal Zope 2 environment, this is typically the case.

3. daniel nouri has made a patch for the test runner to enable a flag optionally add all packages on your path to the test search path. I consider this a defect in the current test runner that makes working with eggs and 2.9 or 2.10 rather cumbersome. could we consider adding this or some other solution to this problem?

http://www.zope.org/Collectors/Zope/2276

Why is this a defect?