Hi.

Chris Withers wrote:
> Hanno Schlichting wrote:
>> I have just recently been given zope.org SVN write access and made my
>> first bigger change - making zopectl work on Windows. Please review and
>> test my changes. The change I made is based on code that I had in the
>> plone.recipe.zope2instance buildout recipe and has seen quite some use
>> by various developers, so should be reasonable stable.
>
> Cool, I've been waiting for this for about 5 years ;-)

I needed it three years ago and have finally found the time to write
this, though I'm not developing on Windows anymore ;)

> Shame start and stop require Zope to be a service, does each Zope
> instance become a seperate service? Are there any problems with having
> lots of zope instances running as services on the same box?

I think start/stop requiring a service is the only sane thing you can do
on Windows, without rewriting the whole service concept - automatic
starts at boot time, easy restarting, running as a separate user...

Running multiple Zope instances on the same box has no problems I heard
of so far or have been witnessing. Obviously they need to listen on
their own distinct ports.

> Do zopectl debug and zopectl test work?

Yes, as far as my testing suggests.

> Which version of Zope will this land in?

I consider this a non-trivial change that changes a crucial part (a
broken zopectl in a minor release would heart us) so I only committed it
to the current trunk which will become Zope 2.11 one day I suppose.

> Or, and where are the tests? <0.8 wink>)

There aren't any for zopectl at all, so I haven't tried to come up with
a way to write them specifically for Windows. My main problem here is,
that I cannot think of any sane way to test starting a real Zope
instance in a test environment. If somebody has ideas how to approach
this, feel free to tell me ;)

Hanno