Previously Daniel Nouri wrote:
> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> >I wanted to share a bit of experience I just had with use of eggs in Zope2.
> >For a project I am working on I want to use the zope.sendmail package in
> >a Zope2 environment managed using buildout. I added zope.sendmail to the
> >eggs list in the buildout configuration and ran buildout. This pulled in
> >a large part of the Zope3 packages. This produced conflicts between those
> >packages and the ones included in Zope2 which resulted in a pretty boken
> >instance:
> easy_install has a --no-deps option.  Maybe that's supported in buildout?

That's a bit of a workaround though.

Ideally Zope2 should be an egg which somehow tells buildout/setuptools
that it also provides the various zope.* packages it includes at the
moment. Similar to the providers-mechanism which packaging systems like
dpkg and rpm implement perhaps. Provides and (semi-) virtual packages
are going to be essential to deal with swappable components as well.