Wichert Akkerman wrote:
Previously Daniel Nouri wrote:
Wichert Akkerman wrote:
I wanted to share a bit of experience I just had with use of eggs in Zope2.
For a project I am working on I want to use the zope.sendmail package in
a Zope2 environment managed using buildout. I added zope.sendmail to the
eggs list in the buildout configuration and ran buildout. This pulled in
a large part of the Zope3 packages. This produced conflicts between those
packages and the ones included in Zope2 which resulted in a pretty boken
easy_install has a --no-deps option.  Maybe that's supported in buildout?

That's a bit of a workaround though.

It's a hack, yes.

Ideally Zope2 should be an egg which somehow tells buildout/setuptools
that it also provides the various zope.* packages it includes at the
moment. Similar to the providers-mechanism which packaging systems like
dpkg and rpm implement perhaps. Provides and (semi-) virtual packages
are going to be essential to deal with swappable components as well.

I didn't realize you were working *with* the Zope 2 egg that Philipp created. I don't have any experience with that, still what you're proposing makes much sense to me.