Martin Aspeli wrote:
Andreas Jung wrote:

--On 22. September 2007 12:40:04 +0100 Martin Aspeli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Andreas Jung wrote:

I think there are currently several approaches doing products-as-eggs in the Zope 2 world - I also lost track a bit and have no idea how to do it
the right way[tm].
To my knowledge, there are only two, complementary approaches:

  1. Keep the Products.* namespace

    - distribute your egg with a namespace package 'Products'
    - only works (reliably) on zope trunk/2.11+
    - ZCML processing and initialize() is implicit/automated

  2. Use a regular python package (whether with a namespace or not)

    - distribute your egg with any namespace (or no namespace)
    - most of the plone.app.* packages are products
    - works on Zope 2.10.4+
    - ZCML is only processed if the package is explicitly included from
site.zcml (or a ZCML slug, or another package/product that is being
processed)
    - The package only becomes a product if the <five:registerPackage />
ZCML directive is in use

Tnx for clarification. Another question: what's the point not using entry points since service discovery is one of the reasons for using entry points. Ok, with globally installed eggs this will lead to a disaster...however for isolated installations via buildout or something similar using entry points might be useful.

I agree that this seems a natural fit. I think Philipp experimented with it, but when it turned out that Products.* scanning worked even in eggs that used Products.* as a namespace package, he decided there wasn't much point in continuing.

So: Entry points could potentially do what the <five:registerPackage /> directive does to register products. However, we already have that (and the magic Products.* scanning) so there may not be that much point.

Exactly.