On Sep 18, 2007, at 6:25 PM, Sidnei da Silva wrote:

Hi there,

Not sure this is the right list, but let's give it a try.

I would like to use the 'patches' functionality from zc.recipe.cmmi
together with other recipes. I believe this is useful functionality
and is interesting to all sorts of recipes, not only to cmmi-based
ones.

So the question is, does the zc.buildout architecture support reusing
options from a recipe on other recipes?

It is just Python. Buildout doesn't provide any support fro this because it isn't really needed.

Or would it require the recipe
writer to explicitly 'subclass' (?) cmmi to get patch functionality?

I prefer composition. A number of recipes reuse the egg recipe through composition.

Generally, an egg will need to explicitly provide a Python API for other eggs. See, for example, http://pypi.python.org/pypi/ zc.recipe.egg/1.0.0b6#egg-recipe-api-for-other-recipes

Or even, would a 'post-fetch'/'pre-build' generalization be desired,
'patch' being one such application?

I have no idea what that is. :)

Jim

--