Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Tres Seaver wrote:
>> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> [snip]
>>> So I turned things around: if I state in my egg information that I
>>> require another package that means I need to have that package
>>> available and functional. Which suggests that its zcml has to be loaded
>>> before mine. And that is exactly what I am doing: adding an entry point
>>> that allows a package to say "in order to function I need to have these
>>> zcml files loaded".
>> I may not *want* the other package's ZCML to be loaded:  some of its
>> policies may not be appropriate for my application.
> Since this appears to be a rare case that is the exception, what about
> using the new ZCML exclude framework for this case? You need to know
> what you are doing, but this use case is for people who know exactly
> what they're doing anyway, right?

It isn't that rare:  how many people want to turn off the Rotterdam skin
in Z3, for instance?  In general, the authors of a "library" package
can't anticipate how their code will be used;  the ZCML they provide is
intended to cover the cases they know or imagine most people want.

ZCML represents policy, not mechanism, and hence is inherently less
reusable than code.

- --
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)