On Nov 1, 2007, at 1:00 AM, Alexander Limi wrote:

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 21:29:36 -0700, Andreas Jung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The recommendation is still "System python is evil, evil, evil" (quoting
Jim).

Sure, but if you ever want to be able to tell users to do:

easy_install plone

to get their Plone site, it's a necessary evil evil evil. ;)

So don't do that. Plone is an application (afaik) not a library. I thought Plone had an installer that installed a local Python.

We generally encourage not to use the system Python in everything we ship (Windows, Mac and Unified installers all ship their own Python)

Cool. Note that I think this problem will get worse as system packages include more and more of the packages we use. I read yesterday that the Python in Mac OS X Leopard includes zope.interface.

— but I really hope we won't be stuck with Python 2.4 after the world has moved on to Python 2.5 and 2.6.

This is really a separate issue. I hope we won't either. Unfortunately, supporting them is non-trivial, I think we've made a lot of progress.

I agree that for proper deployments, you shouldn't use the system Python, but there's the case of letting people get started with Plone easily from their Ubuntu or Mac OS X (Leopard ships with Python 2.5 and easy_install by default) — we should be able to let them do that too.

I don't agree. easy_install is really not well suited to installing applications IMO. I think an installer is a better idea for installing applications, for lots of reasons.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation