Tres Seaver wrote:

Stephan Richter wrote:
On Saturday 03 November 2007, Benji York wrote:
Therefore, anyone editing the trunk version numbers needs add "dev" (no
hyphen) on the end.  Thanks.
I just reread Jim's edict E-mail about the topic and noticed that I indeed missed the "dev" postfix. That changes nothing about the fact that I still think this is totally silly.

I'll agree -- I don't want the trunk to have *any* version number in it,
because I don't want anyone to even think about doing a release from the
trunk.  It wouldn't need changing, either.

I'd like that too, but it breaks the expectations you'd have about the development egg that's defined by a trunk checkout. It needs a meaningful version number to satisfy version constraints like z3c.foopkg>=1.3.