On Nov 3, 2007, at 4:24 PM, Philipp von Weitersehausen wrote:

Stephan Richter wrote:
On Saturday 03 November 2007, Benji York wrote:
Therefore, anyone editing the trunk version numbers needs add "dev" (no
hyphen) on the end.  Thanks.
I just reread Jim's edict E-mail about the topic and noticed that I indeed missed the "dev" postfix. That changes nothing about the fact that I still think this is totally silly.

As far as I see (and apparently Jim, too, since he agreed to use this policy) it's the best compromise between

- making sure that nobody creates releases from the trunk (hence the "dev" marker)

- giving development eggs from the trunk or a release branch a *meaningful* revision number (hence the version bump you find so silly)

Consider this an edict.  (Not if I can just remember to add "dev"....)

Thanks for putting this together,

Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation