I've created a bot process (see

 - checks out the "trunk" subdir of each top-level directory in

 - if the resulting directory does not have a "setup.py", we skip the

 - if the resulting directory does have a setup.py, we create a
   temporary virtualenv with setuptools installed and run the
   virtualenv's bin/python passing it "setup.py install".

 - We capture the results of the install, and print a summary.

The "summary" results are at
http://www.plope.com/static/misc/checker_results.txt .  The "details"
pickle generated by the script is at
http://www.plope.com/static/misc/results.pickle .

My analysis of the results are these:

  - A version conflict exists in a low-level dependency between a
    requirement for zope.traversing 3.4.0 and a requirement for
    zope.traversing>=3.5.0a1.dev-r78730 when installing many zope.*
    eggs using "setup.py install" (and easy_install), making it
    impractical for non-Zope people to actually install most of the
    interesting and released zope.* modules.  This conflict needs to
    get fixed.  Additionally, some modules (like zope.pagetemplate)
    should not fail with this dependency error in the first place;
    instead their dependencies need to become less conservative.

  - The only 10 packages (out of 80) in the zope.app namespace can be
    easy_installed.  All the others fail with the above dependency

  - Find and fix the zope.traversing easy_install conflict.  I'll try
    to debug this.

  - Institute a policy that all distributions that are released to the
    cheeseshop should be installable via "easy_install".  IMO, if they
    are not installable this way, they should not be released to the
    cheeseshop, given the larger Python community's expectations.

  - Figure out why buildout can (apparently) qsuccesfully install
    dependencies of currently failing zope.* eggs while easy_install
    can't.  I probably won't be able to do this.

  - An automated test should ensure that easy_install does something
    reasonable with the latest release of each distribution.  If the
    test fails, a new release should be made, or the dependency bug
    tracked down and fixed.  My checker script could be made to do
    this, and I'd provide the work if someone told me which
    distributions to test, and how to maintain the list of
    distributions to test over time.

  - Ditch the idea of releasing separate distributions for each
    package in zope.app.  The individual eggs typically can't be used
    outside of a zope appserver installation (and if they can, they
    probably shouldn't be in "zope.app", they should be in "zope" or
    they should be their own top-level package), and the
    "namespaciness" of zope.app is suspect when it's unlikely that
    anyone who is not a Zope committer will release a distribution
    which makes use of that namespace package.  Their current
    overgranularity makes distributing them as separate eggs and
    releasing them to the cheeseshop a form of "cheeseshop pollution",
    especially given that so few of them can actually currently be
    installed using easy_install or "setup.py install".  If cheeseshop
    is going to continue to be used as the index, I'd suggest creating
    a zope.app top-level svn module with a single setup.py in
    containing all the packages that are meant to go into zope.app.
    Version the resulting "zope.app" distribution as necessary instead
    of versioning many more granular "zope.app.*" distros.  It's OK if
    some people don't use some of the functionality in the resulting
    egg, just toss everything in.  There is precedent here in the
    Paste distribution.  It has many submodules and does many things,
    but it comes in the form of a single egg.  Yes, you lose the
    ability to make a bugfix in one subpackage and release it, but
    IIRC the intent is to trim zope.app down anyway, pushing
    libraryish things out to top-level or zope.* packages.

 - Who's in charge?  Whomever you might be, to what extent do you
   agree/disagree with the above suggestions?  If you agree with any,
   how can I help fix things?

 - I'm unsure how anybody is able to install Zope 3 right now using
   eggs, unless there's some fundamental difference in the way
   easy_install resolves dependencies vs. buildout.  I have not looked
   at how Stephan's KGS works yet, though, so I'm sure I'm just
   missing some magic.

 - We should consider fixing setuptools install to detect conflicts
   before attempting to install anything.  The current regime of "find
   conflicts halfway through an install" is IMO untenable in the long
   term for using eggs as a distribution mechanism.  This may mean a
   very invasive change to both the package index and the client
   software, though.