Hi Chris,

Then I tried to easy_install zope.security, but this pulled in most
of Zope, including the ZODB, ZConfig and zdaemon. That's a real shame - no CA (at least not with ZCML) without having pretty much
 all of Zope there. :(

Yup.  Inappropriate dependency chain when you use the cheeseshop.
See http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-dev/2007-November/030276.html

I was trying to pass -i <KGS url> to easy_install to use the KGS. Is that not right?

Actually, I never got to try it further, because this then died

Installed /Users/optilude/Development/Pylons/zylons/lib/python2.4/
 site-packages/ZConfig-2.5-py2.4.egg error: Installed distribution
zope.traversing 3.4.0 conflicts with requirement

If you're trying to installed these eggs using easy_install against
 the Cheeseshop, it won't work because the information in the
setup.py of some eggs isn't the "whole story" about required versions
of dependencies.  Instead, some of version pinning information is
stored in buildout.cfg (in a [versions] section) within these eggs.
If you use buildout to install them, or use the KGS as the index URL
to easy_install it will probably work.  See
http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-dev/2007-November/030279.html (and actually the rest of that thread) for the whole story.

I tried that, so either I'm doing something wrong or it doesn't work.

Can someone try to easy_install zope.security against the KGS?

In the short term, you should be able to do either of the following:

- use buildout to install the eggs

- use easy_install --index-url=http://download.zope.org/zope3.4 <distribution>

As far as I know, that's what I did. :-/

The first one will work due to version-pinning statements in the buildout.cfg of dependent eggs. The second one works because it doesn't find the "bad" distribution of zope.app.publisher that exists
 on the Cheeseshop that causes the later conflict.  You'll still get
a bunch of eggs you don't need, but at least they'll get installed.