On Nov 16, 2007, at 8:15 PM, Martin Aspeli wrote:
In any case, I definitely see a case for both. I can't see a good reason why we can't have support for simple XML-based component registration without having to depend on the ZODB and tons of other Zope eggs.

You're right. We can. Someone will have to write that. I suspect that starting from the current zcml support, all that's necessary is to strip out permission support.

I understand the historical reasons behind these dependencies, but I genuinely think we should pick a few libraries that are "useful" to the outside world (zope.interface, zope.component, zope.configuration, zope.annotation, zope.event come to mind) and work to make these have "clean" dependencies.

Most or all of the ones you mention already do. zope.component's dependencies are clean as long as you don't try to use the zcml support. zope.annotation is the only one I'm not sure about but I bet it's dependencies are modest.

Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation