Jim Fulton wrote:

I understand the historical reasons behind these dependencies, but I genuinely think we should pick a few libraries that are "useful" to the outside world (zope.interface, zope.component, zope.configuration, zope.annotation, zope.event come to mind) and work to make these have "clean" dependencies.

Most or all of the ones you mention already do. zope.component's dependencies are clean as long as you don't try to use the zcml support. zope.annotation is the only one I'm not sure about but I bet it's dependencies are modest.

zope.component, zope.interface and zope.schema worked well for me.

zope.annotation does not work well at all - it's sat here doing
zope.app.appsetup as I type this; zope.app.component,
zope.app.authentication, zope.app.debug, zope.app.dependable,
zope.publisher... I won't go on. I think zope.location which includes zope.security is the culprit.

In general, I guess if we have zope.* packages depending on zope.app.* packages, something is wrong. ;)