Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
It would be interesting to get in touch with the original authors and ask them whether zope.i18n's 4 or so dependencies still make it too tied to Zope 3.

For me, it's be interesting to see what it'd take to drop zope.18n completely and just use Babel ;-)

(ie: we as the zope community should be trying to "do less" and re-use good stuff from the python community rather than building our own which then ends up in a mess of unnecessary dependencies...)